Friday, October 3, 2008

Homemade Dish Washer Detergent

I will be experimenting with making my own dish washer detergent this weekend. If you've made homemade laundry detergent based on the recipe that I provided at my other blog, then you should have to ingredients on hand to make this.

I will try it out and post pictures soon. Below are some recipes that I've found online. I seems that the easiest and cheapest way is to use equal parts of Borax and Baking Soda

Recipe #1

1 box of baking soda (2 1/2 Cups)
2 1/2 cups Borax 20 Mule Team
1 package of Koolaid brand lemonade

Shake it up in a jar with a lid. Use 1 T. for each compartment.


Recipe #2

1 cup Borax,
1 cup baking soda
1/4 cup salt

Use a tablespoon's worth in your next load

Recipe #3

What you'll need:
*Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
*20 Mule Team Borax
*Distilled White Vinegar

Step 1: Add one tablespoon of Super Washing Soda to the dishwasher dispenser
Step 2: Add one tablespoon of 20 Mule Team Borax to the dishwasher dispenser

The vinegar should be added only to remove water spots.

Pour distilled white vinegar into the dispenser for the clear rinse gel.

Edited to add this aditional recipe:

Recipe #4

1 cup Borax

1 cup baking soda

1/2 cup washing soda

4 comments:

  1. i need to try your salt recipe. i have made both my own detergent and my own "cascade" before but i don't like the "cascade"- it didn't clean well.

    don't ya love vinegar? it does everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Tami. I will updated this post next week to let you know what my results were.

    I used 1 cup Borax, 1 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup washing soda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hadia,
    It's been a while since I stopped by, but I'm enjoying your "make your own" posts.

    I make my own DW soap. I've never found washing soda at the store, so I just use baking soda.

    1 c. borax
    1 c. baking soda
    1/2 c. salt

    It's a great Comet/Ajax substitute and works really well on flat top stoves, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Milehigh,

    It's so good to hear from you. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a recipe for frugal DW soap.

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated, and will not appear on The Wife at Home until I've approved them. Usually you'll see your comment published in under an hour, but it may take up to a day or so during evenings or over the weekend. While I am eager to facilitate civil conversation by publishing most comments, I am not inclined to publish those that strike me as offensive, vulgar, overly personal, cynical, snarky, deceptive, disrespectful, irrelevant, redundant or unnecessarily contentious. I also do not allow links to YouTube and for profit web sites or blogs.