Monday, October 27, 2008

After Graduation

After graduation, the main thing that was on my mind was landing a job in the field in which I studied. I must admit that I had a lot of misconceptions as to how the job market worked. I thought that a degree would guarantee as slot in my field of study, but I quickly learned that it takes more than just and education.


One of the areas that I did not take advantage of was the services offered at my school that assisted with graduate jobs and careers information. I always had a good idea of what I wanted to do, but I did not take advantage of the resources that could help me to achieve my career goals.


Now as a parent of my own teen who is preparing to go enter college in three years, I am working closely with her in order to show her how to familiarize her self with job hunting, resume writing and interviewing. My daughter wants to become a Psychologist, therefore, next school year she will take a course in Psychology as one of here electives. As part of her course, she will have a chance to meet with professionals in her desired field. In addition, she will also be able to join a nationally recognized group for youth who are interested in becoming psychologist.


We are both really looking forward to this experience. This opportunity will allow her to see first hand what a career in her field truly looks like. An opportunity such as this will help her to prepare by becoming equipped with the details of the educational requirements for the field of psychology. It will also provide her with the career information necessary for her to choose her classes at college. As a homeschool mom my role extends beyond just being a teacher I must also act as a guidance counselor by providing experiences that will help her to be successful after she leaves home.


0 Wise Words:

Post a Comment

*Comments are moderated, and will not appear on The Wife at Home until I've approved them. Usually you'll see your comment published in under an hour, but it may take up to a day or so during evenings or over the weekend. While I am eager to facilitate civil conversation by publishing most comments, I am not inclined to publish those that strike me as offensive, vulgar, overly personal, cynical, snarky, deceptive, disrespectful, irrelevant, redundant or unnecessarily contentious. I also do not allow links to YouTube and for profit web sites or blogs.