Wednesday, November 19, 2008

LOST & FOUND

I have implemented a new way to teach my children to keep up with their belongings. One day while cleaning up the living room I saw a sturdy box sitting around. All of a sudden a light bulb came on. As I continued to clean, instead of calling each child to come and retrieve their belongings, I began throwing them into this box.

I thought “Wow, this is so much easier than calling each child to come and get their toys.” I was certainly easier than me carrying their belongings to its proper place”. Thus became the invention of the “Lost & Found” box.

These are the rules for the “LOST & FOUND” box.

1. Everything can go into the box except clothes and school equipment.
2. The box is emptied every Friday after school.
3. Anything left in the box after Friday is donated.

So far the children have been lining up promptly after school on Friday’s seeking to retrieve Gameboys, toys and any other materials that they have left around the house during the week. So far, the children have been more conscience of cleaning up after themselves. I even overhear the children reminding one another to put away their toys.

3 comments:

  1. Timely post for me, Hadias, as I seek to regain a tidy house after our extended absence and subsequent (all items dropped at the door) return! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do this when my older girls were younger. I think I may need to implement it again, now that our tiny home is so crowded. I am still trying to find ways for my oldest to store her things conveniently. We typically pile things on the stairs but that drives me nuts, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have a terrible time getting the kids to put away their toys PROPERLY. Thrown on (or under) the bed seems to work for them but not for me. I may need to give this box thing a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

*Comments are moderated, and will not appear on The Wife at Home until I've approved them. Usually you'll see your comment published in under an hour, but it may take up to a day or so during evenings or over the weekend. While I am eager to facilitate civil conversation by publishing most comments, I am not inclined to publish those that strike me as offensive, vulgar, overly personal, cynical, snarky, deceptive, disrespectful, irrelevant, redundant or unnecessarily contentious. I also do not allow links to YouTube and for profit web sites or blogs.