Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Time and A Place

I don't talk in church anymore.

For the record when I refer to "talking in church", it is exclusive to theological discussions during church service or Sunday school.




Lately, I've begun noticing that my attention was being drawn away during service. Just little whispers or giggles made by fellow church members. I would look in their direction briefly, only to return my attention to the pastor realizing that I had missed what he had said.

I too, have been guilty of whispering to my daughter and husband during service. I realized how much of a distraction I must have been to others. When we are distracted we miss things.

Have you ever noticed that women, generally speaking, use more words then a man, to convey the same idea?


This is the exception not the rule...but generally speaking, we'd all have to agree that even in today's sitcoms, we see the exasperated looks of husbands toward wives when the wife gets to making a long winded point.

By no means am I saying that we ought to consider this just because it is the idea that has been perpertrated upon us in main stream media. Much rather we should take heed lest we stumble head first into to disobedience. Even the scriptures give us instructions on where it is appropriate to speak. (I Corinthians 14:34 KJV)

I listen to women in church who correct, debate and ultimately usurp the leadership of not only their own husbands, but also proceed to impose their theological prowess upon any other men in the discussion. Teaching a man is considered shameful and is clearly scripturally forbidden.  (1 Tm 2:11-12 KJV and 1 Corinthians 14:35 KJV)

I personally have a natural tendency to talk. I consider myself well versed in scripture, literature and a variety of other topics. I am an avid reader and life long learner, however I want to use that knowledge at time when it is appropriate and edifying to the hearer.


Why is this important?

Words are so powerful. (Proverbs 18:21 KJV) For that reason, I have chosen to be very careful about how and when I use them. (Proverbs 17:27 KJV)

Do you want to read more good stuff like this? My good friend Mrs. Parunak wrote an interesting posts called "A Parable About Serving God in the Church" here's an excerpt;
God told men to be leaders in the Church and gave them shepherding and preaching roles. He gave women a lot to do as well. In 1 Timothy, in a discussion of the kind of widows the Church should care for, we get a picture of the life a godly woman should live.
…having been the wife of one man,  Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints’ feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work. –1 Timothy 5:9-10
We can find another assignment for women in Titus 2:3-5, where they’re commanded to teach younger women
…to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

0 Wise Words:

Post a Comment

*Comments are moderated, and will not appear on The Wife at Home until I've approved them. Usually you'll see your comment published in under an hour, but it may take up to a day or so during evenings or over the weekend. While I am eager to facilitate civil conversation by publishing most comments, I am not inclined to publish those that strike me as offensive, vulgar, overly personal, cynical, snarky, deceptive, disrespectful, irrelevant, redundant or unnecessarily contentious. I also do not allow links to YouTube and for profit web sites or blogs.